Nyungwe Forest Lodge lies on the edge of Rwanda’s Nyungwe Rainforest National Park in the South-West of the country. It boasts an impressive view overlooking the forest canopy from a ridge on one side and a tea-plantation on the other. Nyungwe Forest Lodge offers guests exceptional 5-star comfort and ensures an experience rich in local culture, fluently fused with quality service and African courtesy. The lodge is situated in Gisakura, a working tea plantation, on the edge of the Nyungwe National Park. The Nyungwe Forest is the largest mountain rainforest on the African continent with over 13 different species of primates, representing 20% of all the apes in Africa.
A full-service spa, a restaurant, and an outdoor pool are available at this smoke-free resort. Free Wi-Fi in public areas and free self-parking are also provided. Additionally, a fitness center, a bar/lounge, and a spa tub are onsite.
All 22 rooms boast fireplaces and offer free Wi-Fi and 24-hour room service. Minibars and coffee makers are standard, as are LCD TVs with satellite channels.
- Swim in the heated rim-flow swimming pool with views into the rainforest.
- Socialize at the poolside Boma, ideal for sundowners, surrounded by the sights and sounds of the forest.
- Pamper yourself in the relaxation retreat with 2 treatment rooms and a Jacuzzi pool.
- Select mementos and gifts for friends and loved ones in the boutique store.
- Keep trim in the fitness center with treadmill, cycle and free weights.
- Get down to business in the conference facilities with AV equipment accommodating up to 16 delegates.
- Enjoy refined style and service in the tea lounge.
- Spoil your taste buds in the all-day dining restaurant or enjoy exclusivity on the private dining terrace.
- Laundry service for people on the go.
- Stay connected with Wireless internet access at main lodge building.
- The main lodge building is wheelchair friendly with relevant facilities.
Food and Dining
The dining areas are made up of a Boma (a wood-fenced area containing tables and chairs around an open fire) which provides a great location for outdoor dining and sundowners, as well as a restaurant with a private terrace, a tea lounge and a bar . Meals take place in a variety of these locations.
Food & drink
usual board basis: Full Board
Dining style: Group Meals
Dining locations: Indoor and Outdoor Dining
Cost of meal e.g. lunch: Included
Drinks included: Soft drinks are included at meal times. Drinks are an additional cost at all other times
further dining info: Room service is available
Nyungwe Forest Lodge consists of 22 luxury rooms which are situated in 6 wooden villas of four rooms each. There are also two presidential suites in separate villas with one of these having a Jacuzzi. This is a luxury lodge and as such the rooms are modern fit-outs and well decorated with traditional touches. Each room is equipped with private decks which offer views overlooking the vast forest terrain.
Room / Suite Configuration:
- 15 x King bedded luxury rooms sleeping a max of 2 adults each
- 5 x Twin bedded luxury rooms sleeping a max of 2 adults each
- 2 x King bedded suites (both connect with a second twin bedded luxury room)
Rooms / Suites Features
- Fire place
- Air conditioning
- Private mini bar
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Electronic safe (laptop size)
- International electric adaptors
- Private deck
- En-suite bathroom with indoor shower
- International dial telephones
- Flat LCD screen and digital satellite channels
- Wi-Fi access
Activities at the lodge
As one might expect, activities offered at Nyungwe Forest Lodge revolve around walking and trekking in the National Park. Activities are tailored to the individual and guided walks can last anything from 1 to 7 hours. The most popular walking excursions available at Nyungwe Forest Lodge include chimpanzee trekking, black and white colobus monkey trekking, grey – cheeked mangabey trekking and the Kamiranzovu Swamps and Waterfall walks. Bird watching and cultural area walks are also offered.
There are over 275 different species of birds as well as 75 different species of mammals that reside in these lush surroundings. The birds are particularly spectacular with giant hornbills, great blue turacos and red-breasted sparrow hawks being amongst the bird-watchers favorites. Twenty-four of these species are endemic to this section of the Rift Valley alone.
- Chimpanzee trekking
- Black and White Colobus monkey trekking
- Grey – cheeked Mangabeys Trekking
- Blue Monkey and Golden Monkey Trekking
- Kamiranzovu Swamp walk
- Kamiranzovu Waterfall walk
- Various guided Walking trails from 1 hours to 7 hours
- Bird watching walk
- Cultural area walk with lodge guide
At the lodge
- Walking, take a 5,3 km walk to the beautiful Isumo waterfall (approx. 2 hours each way).
- Visit the nearby tea factory offering guests insight into the full process of withering, cutting, tearing and curling, fermentation, drying and finally sorting, storing and packing.